I am Michelle Doran, and I have the great fortune of being the 5th grade teacher here at The Madeleine. My goal as an educator is to create a safe, positive, and productive learning environment which supports and challenges each student as a learner.
In 5th grade, we are working on being organized and responsible students, two key elements of success in middle school. A popular area of study for students is the geography of the United States which culminates with a state report. 5th graders also participate in Safety Patrol, a service students enjoy providing to the school. Academic highlights for 5th grade include:
• Reading strategies, novel studies, literature circles
• Grammar, 6+1 Traits of Writing, integrated writing curriculum with core subject standards, writing process
• Adding and subtracting decimals and fractions, division of whole numbers, geometry
• US History, Geography of the United States
• Life, Physical, and Earth
A little about me ...
I taught 1st grade for seven years here at The Madeleine prior to the birth of my first son. In 2009, I returned to The Madeleine to job-share 5th grade. I am originally from Washington, but I have lived in Portland since 2000. I like spending time with my family, being outdoors, and traveling.