Learning Support Team
A team of devoted educators make up our Learning Support Team: Gaila Savery, Pam Harmon, Suzette Kamm, and Andy Stephens. We work with children in all grades in the Learning Loft and in classrooms throughout the building. Our work with students includes the following:
- Teaching small, guided reading and math groups
- Tutoring individual students
- Consulting with teachers and support them in their mission of meeting the needs of ALL learners
- Giving large group instruction as requested
- Assessing students and tracking their progress
- Conferencing with parents about their child’s progress and supports
- Providing instruction in a variety of subjects and with a multitude of strategies
- Using a variety of strategies to teach reading, such as Read Naturally and Orton-Gillingham Instruction
- Working with students to build Executive Functioning skills, using a number of curriculums
- Helping teachers implement meaningful accommodations in their classrooms
- Making referrals, writing reports, and talking with professionals who are testing individual students
- Providing Study Hall support for students in grades 5 - 8 after school
- Writing Individualized Learning Plans
- Taking seminars and reading current research about best practices and teaching diverse learners
- Celebrating the academic progress that each student makes
- Appreciating that the students we teach have a lot to teach us too
BA, Western Oregon
MA, Concordia, St. Paul
I am a native Oregonian and have been at the Madeleine since 2003. I thoroughly enjoy building relationships with students and seeing the growth of the whole child. I am truly blessed to be in this profession, here at the Madeleine.
BA and MA, Portland State University
I began working at The Madeleine in 1995. Since 2006, I have worked with the Learning Support Team to give our students the additional support they need in their learning. I love to work with individual students and small groups to help them improve skills, as well as their self-esteem. I strongly believe in seeing a child as a whole person. I focus on how a child learns best and what might be getting in the way of his/her learning. It is very important to me to help each child I work with feel safe and confident so they can feel good about themselves and grow. I am the mom of a beautiful sixteen year old daughter. We enjoy spending time together at home with our pets, going for walks with the dogs, reading books and doing craft projects.
BA and MA, University of Portland
Certified Level in Orton Gillingham Reading
I have been at at The Madeleine for two years, but have spent many years as an educator. Being a small part in a student's learning process is a marvelous honor. Each child is unique and a gift to each of us. Aiding them to become successful is a mission.
BA and MA from University of Portland
Special Education Endorsement
I started teaching in 2003 and started at The Madeleine in 2015 (and feeling very blessed about it!). My favorite part of teaching is building relationships with my students and their families as they grow through the years. I value our time together and am thankful for their enthusiasm and trust. I also love spending time with my 2 daughters and my husband while we are playing outside, reading together, and learning new things.